Below is the process taken to determine the All-State teams each year:
- Players are nominated for the All-State Watch List by coaches via the online form, with a suggested submission deadline of September 1. Nominated players are entered onto a spreadsheet that is distributed to the members of the selection committee (MNVBCA section representatives).
- Members of the selection committee educate themselves about nominated players throughout the season through communication with coaches from around the state and watching in person.
- Statistics are submitted by head coaches at the end of the regular season for the players they would like to keep in the discussion for All-State consideration.
- Section representatives compile a list of nominated players from their section. All head coaches are then asked to rank/grade the nominated players from their section. This ensures that the section representative is not the only coach providing an opinion on each player.
- Coaches submit game-by-game stats for each nominated player so that performances against quality opponents can be highlighted. This helps identify players that collect the bulk of their stats against weaker opponents and frequently perform poorly against quality opponents. Players that perform well against stronger opposition are more likely to receive consideration than players that do not.
- Statistics, live observations, section coach feedback, and strength of schedule are all taken into account during the All-State selection meeting. After two to three hours of conversation and deliberation, each committee member ranks the nominated players. The 14 players with the lowest total scores (one high and low vote are thrown out) are named to the All-State Team. The next eight players are named to the All-State Honorable Mention Team.
- The top three seniors from each class are placed on the ballot for Ms. Baden Volleyball as Minnesota's top senior, where they are each ranked 1-9 by the members of the selection committee. The top five scores are named finalists for the award (minimum one player from each class). The top scoring player is named Ms. Baden Volleyball. Note: Accomplishments achieved over the entirety of a high school career are considered for the Ms. Baden Volleyball Award.
- Head coaches are contacted via email the Monday of the first week of section play and are informed if their player(s) has been selected to the All-State Team or not. Coaches are responsible for notifying their own players of the award. The All-State Teams are announced at the State Tournament Banquet the Wednesday preceding the State Tournament.